Last updated: Jan 30, 2020 | 319 Views | Articles
Clobetasol 17-propionate 0.05% w/w
Clobetasol is a very potent topical corticosteroid indicated for adults, elderly and children over 1 year for the short term treatment only of more resistant inflammatory and pruritic manifestations of steroid responsive dermatoses unresponsive to less potent corticosteroids.
These include the following:
• Psoriasis (excluding widespread plaque psoriasis)
• Recalcitrant dermatoses
• Lichen planus
• Discoid lupus erythematosus
• Other skin conditions which do not respond satisfactorily to less potent steroids.
The following conditions should not be treated with clobetasol:
• Untreated cutaneous infections
• Acne vulgaris
• Pruritus without inflammation
• Perianal and genital pruritus
• Perioral dermatitis.
Clobetasol is contraindicated in dermatoses in children under one year of age, including dermatitis and nappy eruptions.